Thank you for celebrating 150 Years of Service in the Windham community with us all year long!
Sesquicentennial Seal Window Clings
Make a donation to Nesmith Library (any amount) and we will give you a window cling of our Sesquicentennial Seal! The clings can either stick inside a window or outside, and hold on to car windows really well, with no residue when it's time to remove them!
Photos, guestbook entries, and more from this event and our 150th year will be preserved in a digital gallery! Be sure to sign the guest book (still available!), and consider submitting your art and stories illustrating what Nesmith Library means to you, September 18-December 18. Email NesmithLibrary03087@gmail.com to discuss submission details.
The digital gallery will be available January 2022.
Read our newsletters for articles and features from the year:
(Subscribe for email updates, biweekly!)
Nesmith Library and our Sesquicentennial Celebration were also featured in The Windham Independent, The Derry News, The Eagle Tribune, and on Windham Community Television!
We are celebrating throughout 2021 with dispatches from our History Room in the form of social media posts, articles, displays, and more:
- Throwback Thursday (3/25/2021): On May 17, 1955, Windham Town Clerk Olin J. Cochran was in a gunfight at his home, memorialized in a scrapbook in our History Room.
- Throwback Thursday (4/29/2021): Annual Reports for the Town of Windham and Nesmith Library show a March high, May low trend in annual circulation, which it turns out is still reflected in current years!
- Throwback Thursday (5/27/2021): On May 24, 1939, the Squalus submarine incident and rescue was the biggest headline on the Manchester Union (a former title of the Union Leader), as memorialized in our collection of New Hampshire's Front Pages in the History Room.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY (6/21/2021): Happy Birthday, Nesmith Library! On June 21, 1871, Nesmith Library formally opened in the small room in upper Town Hall.
- Throwback Thursday (6/24/2021): The 150 year history of Nesmith Library spans three buildings in the center of Windham: Town Hall, the Armstrong Building, and our current building atop the hill of the town complex.
- Video: Happy Sesquicentennial, Nesmith Library! (7/22/2021) A big THANK YOU to the Austin family for making this incredibly cute video about our Sesquicentennial and celebration on Saturday, September 18!
- Watch the video on YouTube
- One Month Update (8/18/2021): Our planned schedule for Saturday, September 18!
10 AM: Comments from Honored Guests, including Library Director Sylvie Brikiatis, Board of Trustees Chair Karen Moltenbrey, NH State Librarian Michael York, and NH Representative Bob Lynn
11 AM: Windham Community Band
11 AM-1 PM: B's Tacos food truck
11 AM-2 PM: Self guided tour, scavenger hunt, and a children's craft