NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Present: Joan Griffin, Chairman; Mark Branoff, Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Secretary, Chris Monterio, Assistant Treasurer, Carolyn Webber, Anne Marie O’Neil, Corresponding Secretary, Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director, Lois Freeston, Assistant Director. Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chairman was excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Joan Griffin, Chairman, at 7:05 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the December November 18, 2008 meeting were approved.
Correspondence: The Board received a Christmas card from the Selectmen.
Financial—There is no report from the Town YTD as of yet.
Nesmith Library Directors Report, December 2008
· Registration. There were 49 new registrations in December.
· Internet uses. 682 uses in December 2008 vs. 520 in December 2007.
· People Counter. 5415 visits were counted in December 2008 vs. 3594 in December 2007! Much of this increased traffic occurred during the ice storm.
· Sunday usage. There were 214 visits in December compared to 205 visits in December, 2007.
In 2007, for the entire year, 4470 visits were counted on Sundays. At the end of December 2008 we have counted 4793 visits on Sundays.
· Statistics. Volunteer Hours totaled 61 hours. Our collection size totals 81,269 volumes.
Building and property maintenance.
· Strategic Planning Committee—The survey will be launched in the spring after town elections. The committee’s next meeting is Tuesday, January 26th at 7:00.
· Library Credit Card Policy—Mark Branoff has taken steps to pursue a corporate credit card for use by the director so that we can take advantage of large discounts offered by certain vendors especially for material purchases or IT products over the internet. Mark and Chris will draft a policy which will need to voted on by the Trustees.
· March Election for Trustees—All trustees whose term is up have agreed to run for re-election.
· Board Officers for next year—Joan asked Board members to think about which positions they may be willing to serve for the coming year.
· Trustees’ Meeting—Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 7:00 p.m.
· ADJOURNED: The meeting was adjourned at 7:45 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval