NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Present: Joan Griffin, Chairman; Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Treasurer; Chris Monterio, Assistant Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Anne Marie O’Neil, Carolyn Webber, Carl Heidenblad, Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director, Lois Freeston, Assistant Director.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Joan Griffin, Chairman, at 7:10 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the April 8, 2008 meeting were approved with corrections.
Financial—33% of the year has elapsed—we have spent 32% of the budget.
Director’s-- Carl presented his report for May.
· Circulation—For the month of April 16,551 items were loaned, a 16.9% increase from the previous April.
· Registration-- There were 47 new registrations in April.
· Internet uses-- 716 uses in February.
· People Counter-- 6267 visits were counted in April.
· Sunday Usage—There were 528 visits in April compared to 382 visits in April 2007. Sunday use continues to improve steadily. In fact the concern is that we are understaffed on Sundays at this point.
· Statistics—For April our collection size totaled 81,223 items; Volunteer hours were 84.1 hours.
Building and Property Maintenance
· Shelving—We have solved the problem with matching the laminate used on the other shelves in the children’s room and the shelving is in production now.
· ESI will begin electrical work next week in preparation for the Strawberry Festival as we will be adding two outside electrical stations for the SF vendors.
A personnel Committee Committee meeting was held on Monday May 12th to discuss Sunday hours and plans for the summer.
MOTION: Carolyn Webber moved that the following three items be adopted as recommended by the personnel committee.
1. That prior to preparing the 2009 budget, the Committee meet in the fall to review the wage scale for four positions.
2. That another part-time person be hired as a 10-Hour per week staff member for Sunday afternoons and one weekday evening.
3. That Melissa Kalendarian be hired again this summer to work as an intern for 12 weeks in the children’s room.
The motion was seconded and carried unanimously.
· Update on Time-Line for Library Expansion/Building Expansion—A joint meeting was held on April 2nd for the purposes introducing our new trustees to members of the Building Expansion Committee and to bring everyone up to date on the draft plans completed last year. A consensus developed agreeing that March of 2009 is too early to bring a warrant on the town ballot. We also discussed ways of making a better case to the public of the need for this expansion. Finally Chris and Carl will continue work on the time-line and begin preparing for the fall’s meeting with the CIP.Since that meeting, a name of a potential Building Committee Chairman has been suggested. At the appropriate time, we will ask the Building Expansion Committee to meet with the proposed candidate.
· Staff Party—Friday, May 16th at 6:30 p.m.—Final preparations are being made
· Holiday Schedule—Carl presented the 2008 schedule. After discussion, Anne-Marie moved that the schedule be accepted. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Volunteer of the Year—we are so very appreciative of the effort of our volunteers that we discussed a variety of ways to honor them. Anne Marie will contact Dave Sullivan with suggestions.
· NH Library Association Trustee Orientation (Bow, NH June 19, 2008)
· Trustees’ Meeting—Tuesday, June 10th 7 p.m.
· Strawberry Festival: Saturday, June 7, 2008 at 10:00 a.m.
ADJOURNED: The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval