NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Present: Joan Griffin, Chairman; Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chairman; Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer; Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary; Carl Heidenblad, Director; Lois Freeston, Assistant Director; Diane Mayr, Assistant Director. Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary and Chris Monterio, Treasurer; were excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Joan Griffin, Chairman, at 7:02 p.m.
Minutes: The minutes of the October 9, 2007 meeting and the Informational Meeting held on October 29, 2007 were approved.
Financial--Through 83% of the year 81% of the budget has been expended.
Director’s-- Carl presented his monthly report for November 2007.
· Circulation. As of the end of October 154,812 items had been loaned compared with 149,126 items the previous year. This is a 3.8% increase. So far in 2007, we have had 6 months with 15,000 items or greater circulation. In 2006 and 2005 we had only 3 months that exceeded 15,000 items, and only one in 2004. October’s circulation of 15,343 items was a 1.7 % decrease compared to October 06.
· Registration. There have been 589 new registrations so far this year.
· Internet uses. 619 uses in October. For the year to date there have been 1118 more uses than for the same period last year.
· People Counter. Traffic continues to increase. With 2262 more visits this year than last (for the same time period ending October 30.)
· Sunday usage. January through October 2006: 3226 visits
January through October 2007: 4619 visits
Building and property maintenance-None
· The Big Read Program. Programs on 10/11 and 10/25 at 7 pm at the Nesmith Library.
· Staff Work Day, Friday October 19th. Everyone did a fantastic job and worked very hard.
551 books, mixed fiction and non-fiction
272 books were pulled and sent to other libraries
100 cd-rom music disks
923 total items.
· CIP meeting on 11/01 was attended by Carl Heidenblad, Chris Monterio, and Mark Branoff. Deferred maintenance issues were reviewed with the committee including outside painting and carpeting which will need to be replaced in the near future because of regular wear and tear.
Statistics: For the month of October we had 93.3 volunteer hours. Our collection size totals 79264 items.
Building Expansion Committee—no report
· Building Committee Chairman—the Board discussed the importance of appointing a Chairman. We will continue to search for candidates.
· By-Laws Committee—the proposed changes were discussed but need further review to be certain that they correspond with existing RSAs.
· Pat Skinner’s progress. Pat continues to make steady progress following surgery.
· Interim Trustee—The board regretfully accepted Lisa Thornton’s resignation with much appreciation to her outstanding contributions. Lisa has accepted the presidency of the F.L.O.W. Board.
MOTION: Mark Branoff moved that J Gross be appointed as an interim trustee to complete Lisa’s term. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· New Trustees come March. The Board discussed which terms are expiring. We will have to fill one 1 year term and 2 three year terms.
· Proposal for replacing aging computers. The Board discussed the necessity of replacing 6 of the existing machines prior to the end of the year.
MOTION: Mary Lee Underhill moved that we authorize the director to spend up to $2800 out of non-lapsing funds to replace up to 6 computers. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Trustees’ Meeting—Tuesday, December 11th at 7 p.m.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft Subject to Approval