NESMITH LIBRARY BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Present: Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, Chris Monterio, Treasurer, Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer, Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary, Lisa Thornton, Member, Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr, Assistant Director. Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman was excused.
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Vice Chairman Joan Griffin at 7:08 pm
The Board was provided with an up-date on Mary Lee’s condition in that she is resting comfortably at the Salem Rehab Center and appreciates the calls, flowers and cards. We wish her all the best on a speedy recovery.
Minutes: The minutes for the June 13, 2006 were approved with the addition of Mark Branoff’s attendance at the NH Attorney General’s annual meeting for Library Trustees.
Financial: Chris Monterio reported that through the end of July 54% of the budget has been spent.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for August 2006
· Circulation. June circulation totaled 14,905. This was an increase from June 2005 of 10.8%. July circulation was a record breaking 17,446 which was a 15.3% increase from July 2005. Outstanding programming for children and young adults is responsible for this record – our highest monthly circulation ever.
· People Counter: This continues to show less traffic than last year, at odds with our greatly increased circulation
· Registration: At the end of July the library was showing 8490 registered card holders.
· Statistics: Statistics for June showed there were 6884 visits to the library, 484 internet users and 89.09 volunteer hours. Collection size totaled 76,921 items. Statistics for July showed there were 7424 visits to the library, 467 internet users and 115.58 volunteer hours. Collection size totaled 76,734 items.
Building and Property Maintenance:
· The concrete steps leading to the front entrance of the library have deteriorated further. They were repaired for the Strawberry festival, but this is just a temporary fix.
1. Grey desk in small study room – now being used by the town in another location.
2. Carrels in children’s room – stored at Town Maintenance.
3. Small Carrel in adult reference area - stored at Town Maintenance.
4. One or two tables in Multi Purpose room – nothing done yet.
· Shelving needs. Additional pieces for the children’s room and the AV area which were voted on in June have been ordered for possible September delivery.
· Inventory issues—another inventory will be done in August as 4-5 items are possibly missing from the DVD collection despite the security measures that have been taken.
· Building: The RFP has been sent and four firms have responded. The bids are due on Friday, August 11th. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday August 16th. Former Trustee Doug McDonald has volunteered to join the committee.
· F.L.O.W. No report as the organization takes the summer off.
· Windham Endowment for Community Advancement—No Report
Unfinished Business: None
· Office photo-copier—Our present lease agreement through Conway Office Supply/GE Capital expires at the end of November. Currently we pay 160.50 per month including the service agreement. The Board discussed the advantages of leasing vs. purchase and the consensus was that we favored continuing to lease this equipment. Carl will get some bids on a new lease closer to the time of expiration.
· Memorial for Dr. Murray Levin—discussion about the scope of a memorial possibly on the level of a scholarship fund. The consensus was that we should wait until more input is received. In addition, the family has requested that donations in lieu of flowers be made to F.L.O.W.
· Next Library Trustees Meeting on September 12, 2006 at 7:00 p.m.
· Building Expansion Committee, Wednesday, August 16th.
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 7:54 pm
Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary
Draft subject to approval