Tuesday June 13, 2006



Present: Mary Lee Underhill, Chairman, Joan Griffin, Vice-Chairman, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, Chris Monterio, Treasurer, Mark Branoff, Assistant Treasurer, Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary,  Lisa Thornton, Member,  Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr and Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors.


Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mary Lee Underhill at 7:04 pm


Minutes: The minutes for the May 09th, 2006 were approved.



Financial:  Chris Monterio reported that through the end of May 38% of the budget has been spent.

Director:   Carl presented his monthly report for June 2006

·        Circulation: May’s circulation totaled 13,818.  This was an increase from May 2006 of 6.6%.

·        People Counter:  Carl reported that the counts have been trending downward and seems to be a direct correlation to the use of the new book drop which eliminates the need for patrons to come into the library to return books.

·        Registration:  At the end of May the library was showing 8327 registered card holders.

·        Statistics: Statistics for May showed that 13,818 items were circulated with 8,249 registered patrons; there were 5,776 visits to the library, 426 internet users and 99.92 volunteer hours.  Our collection size totals 76,514 items.

            Building and Property Maintenance:

·        The concrete steps leading to the front entrance of the library have deteriorated further. They were repaired for the Strawberry festival, but this is just a temporary fix.

·        Report of some small items of furniture to consider selling/discarding.

     Other Issues:

·        Shelving needs. Additional pieces for the children’s room. Additional piece in the AV area.

MOTION: Chris Monterio moved  to accept a gift of $3128.47 from F.L.O.W. toward the purchase the  2 DVD display units. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.

MOTION: Wendy Keller moved to approve the purchase of these 2 Madison display units. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.

·        Discussion of whether we should vote now on authorization for Carl to spend the necessary funds to purchase the additional shelving in the children’s area  this summer as there will be no Board meeting until August. These funds would come out of the CAP 3 accounts.

MOTION: Joan Griffin moved to authorize Carl to spend up to $8000 for the additional shelving needs in the children’s area. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.

·        Discussion of the level the Director’s is authorized to spend without Board approval.

MOTION: Chris Monterio moved to raise the Director’s authority to spend up $2000 without Board approval. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously. Carl will make this decision part of the policy manual.

Committee Reports

·        Building: The Building Expansion Committee met  on, May 11th While we are still in need of a Chair, 2 sub-committees were formed. One to develop a program of requirements “POR” and a second for public relations. The 2 sub-committees have already met and there will be another meeting of the entire committee on Wednesday June 21.

·        F.L.O.W. : Lisa Thornton announced that the Strawberry Festival was very successful despite the rain and the change of location to Center School. In addition the F.L.O.W. banquet was held on June 7th. Over 50 members attended as well as 13 past presidents.

 Unfinished Business:

·        Internet Policy:  Finalized at the last meeting.

·        Strategic Planning: All town departments including the library have met for this purpose. Much of our input is based on the on-going Operations Plan. Carl will complete our portion using the Town’s format stressing the savings we can achieve in bulk purchases of items such as heating fuel and paper supplies.


·        Calendar—The Department of Cultural Resources will feature the Nesmith Library on their 2007 calendar. We will purchase 300 calendars at a cost of $2.00 each and will sell these at a cost of $5.00 each.



·        Next Library Trustees Meeting on August 8, 2006 at 7:00 p.m.

·        Building Expansion Committee, Wednesday, June 21, 7 p.m. at the Library.


   ADJOURNED:  The meeting adjourned at 8:04 pm


Respectfully submitted,

Wendy Keller, Recording Secretary

Draft subject to approval