Nesmith Library Board Trustees Minutes
October 11, 2005
Present: Sharon Scannell, Chairman, Mary Lee Underhill, Vice-Chair, Joan Griffin, Recording Secretary, Pat Skinner, Corresponding Secretary, Lorraine Bain, member, Carl Heidenblad, Director, Diane Mayr, Lois Freeston, Assistant Directors. Chris Monterio was excused.
Chairman, Sharon Scannell, called the meeting to order at 7:10 pm.
With saddened hearts the Board observed a moment of silence honoring Paul Keller who passed away
on Monday, October 10, 2005. We extend our heart felt sympathy to his family.
Minutes: The minutes were approved as written for the September 13th meeting.
Financial: Sharon Scannell reported that 75% of the budget has been spent and
69% of the year has elapsed.
Director: Carl presented his monthly report for October, 2005.
· Circulation: September 2005 circulation continues the trend of the past few months with a 15+% increase from September 2004. The library is still seeing an overall increase of the 14% for the year to date compared to last year through September.
· Lori Morse has started in her new position as Young Adult/Youth Services Specialist.
· Sunday Circulation: Continues at nearly the same pace as previously reported with no real growth, no real declines. On average the library is circulating items in a range of 180 to 200 items each Saturday that the library is open. Sunday lending runs about 50% of Saturday’s
· Registrations: The registration now stands at 7981. As reported last month, Carl had asked Amy Mallet to delete card holders whose cards had expired and that had not shown any activity prior to 2003. The total of deleted customers was 1487.
· Holiday Schedule for 2006: A discussion was held on the July 4th 2006 holiday schedule, July 4th falls on a Tuesday and how Monday should be handled.
· Statistics: Statistics for September showed that 12, 955 items were circulated, 7,908 registered patrons; there were 5,665 visits to the library, 582 internet users and 103.38 volunteered hours. Our collection size is 72,828.
· Book Drop: The book drop has arrived but is not yet installed.
Building Property and Maintenance:
· Fire Alarm Maintenance: The system was thoroughly tested on 8-16-05.
Riel Security was on site the week of September 12th to correct faults in the system.
· Carpet Cleaning: The carpets were cleaned on 10-10-05.
Personnel Committee: Pat Skinner reported on the committee meeting with Carl with regard
to the realignment of the Children’s Room . Lori Morse would become the
Young Adult/Youth Services Specialist working 20-25 hours per week,
Jane McCue would be promoted to the full time position of Lead Children’s Librarian and Karen Frey’s position will remain a part time position.
The personnel committee approved this realignment.
· Needs Assessment Study – the next step: Mary Lee reported on the meeting explaining they reviewed the Summary of Space Requirements for Assignable Spaces from the Needs Assessment Study. The committee agreed on the spaces that are absolutely necessary.
· FLOW Gift of Book Drop: A motion was made by Pat Skinner to accept the Book Drop from FLOW, with great appreciation. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
· Public Library Association Conference: Carl gave details on the conference which is being held in Boston from March 21 thru March 25, 2005. He would like the staff to have the opportunity to attend this conference. He will gather the details and present them at the November meeting. The conference is in its final planning stages.
· Pumpkin Fest at Nesmith Library on October 22, 2005 from 11 am to 3 pm
· Library Trustees Meeting on Tuesday, November 8, 2005
ADJOURNED: The meeting adjourned at 8:07 pm
Draft subject to approval